|Independent Process Observer - Franco Mariotti
Mr. Mariotti, a life-long resident of Sudbury, grew up in “Little Italy”, Copper Cliff.
In the mid 1970s, he attended Laurentian University where he received a degree in Biology. Franco has travelled to many parts of the world. He has travelled extensively throughout North and South America, from the High Arctic to Patagonia. His travels have made a dramatic impact on his views dealing with social justice and environmental issues.
Franco is employed as a Staff Scientist at Science North where he develops and delivers public programs, exhibit research and development, as well as staff and volunteer training. He has been part of Science North since its conception in 1981.
Involvement in Community Organizations:
· The Sudbury Roundtable on Health, Economy and the Environment - Co-chair
· Junction Creek Stewardship Committee - Member (Co-chair 1999 to 2001)
· The Sudbury Naturalists Club - Steering Committee Member (Founding Member 1979)
· TD/Canada Trust “Friends of the Environment” - Board Member
· Ministry of Natural Resources/ Public Advisory Committee - Member (1985 to 2000)
· Spanish River Public Advisory Committee - Member (1993 to 1997)
· Environmental Review Tribunal - Part-time Board Member (1989 to present)
· Environmental Bill of Rights Office/ Education Committee - Member (1996 to 1998)
· “Down To Earth” Television Show - Co-host for 6 years (1994 to 1999)
· “Healing the Landscape” a Sudbury Millennium Book project - Committee Member (1999 to 2000)
· Healthy Places/Healthy People Provincial Conferences - Organizing Committee Member (1990,1991,1993 and Co-chair for 2001 conference)
Other Valuable Experience:
· Delivered “hundreds” of public presentations to all ages in numerous settings, from classrooms to community clubs to auditoriums
· Comfortable in front of a camera as a result of years of work with the “Down to Earth” television program
· Experienced with media (interviewed many times for newspaper, radio and TV)